10 things to pray over your husband.
“I pray that he loves Jesus and that he’s athletic, and that he’s smart, and that he’s handsome, and that he’s tan, and that he has dark hair…and that he never beats me. In Jesus’ name I pray, Amen!”
My mom looked at me wondering if she heard correctly. She was mostly concerned with how I even had any exposure to domestic violence in the first place, let alone include it in my seven-year-old prayer. I’m pretty sure I caught a glimpse at one of those Lifetime Original movies I wasn’t supposed to be watching. Either way, I thought it was something I should be praying against.
Each night, my mom and/or dad would pray with me before bed. On occasion, my mom would encourage me to pray for my future husband…you know, when my dad wasn’t around to say, “That’s not necessary because she’s never getting married.”
Well, ask and you shall receive: enter Derek.
Whether you’ve been married 40 years, 40 minutes, or you’re single and not even ready to mingle - or anything in between - you too can, and dare I say, should be praying for your husbands…always.
Prayer is crazy powerful, especially when you truly believe that God is eager to answer your prayers, and that He actually cares about everything you care about! I mean that’s what a good Father does, right?
I can choose to speak life into my marriage and move the hand of God. And so can you. So, let’s begin praying for things God undoubtedly wants for our husbands and our marriages.
“This is the confidence we have in approaching God: that if we ask anything according to His will, He hears us. And if we know that He hears us – whatever we ask – we know that we have what we asked of Him.” 1 John 5:14-15
I have compiled a list of some of my favorite prayers for Derek, most of which are inspired by The Power of a Praying Wife by Stormie Omartian, which I highly recommend by the way! (ehem, click the link)
Feel free to take my list, add to it, subtract from it…whatever mathematical procedure suits you…just begin speaking it out!
10 Things To Pray Over Your Husband:
1. Relationship with Jesus: Pray for his faith, that he would nurture it and build it. Pray that his desire everyday would first be to love, seek, know, and serve Jesus. (We could pretty much end the list here, haha…but I’ll go on for the sake of ‘10’).
2. Wisdom to lead: As the head of the family and the home, our husbands should strive for Godly wisdom! I love standing behind Derek knowing I can trust God to guide every decision he makes for our family and future.
3. Integrity: Pray for good character and his reputation! Pray that your man will be discerning wherever he goes, between every interaction, and that he will be consistent and undivided in truth!
4. Self-Esteem: Be a wife who prays for and verbally praises her husband. Pray that you both see him as God sees him; confident, courageous, equipped, diligent, and super handsome (in a humble way of course)!
5. Influence: Oh my, this is one of my favorites. Pray that wherever your husband goes and whoever God places in his life, that he will inspire others and always reflect Christ's love & grace.
6. Protection: Pray for protection from illness, injury, and of course the evil schemes of the enemy. Temptation may come, but pray that the Holy Spirit gives him the strength to flee! And pray that when he does sin, he would be quick to repent and freed by God's grace!
7. Compassion: “Jesus vision”. Pray that your husband would see people as Jesus sees them. With perfect love, empathy, mercy, and the heart of a servant.
8. Favor: Why not?! Pray that the Lord blesses him wherever he goes and whatever work he puts his hands to! And then pray that he acknowledges and glorifies God for it all!
9. Purpose: Pray that he speaks frequently with Jesus and seeks knowledge from the Word always so that when God directs him, he is receptive, confident, and obedient to his calling.
10. His Wife: Pray that you become the woman who helps him attain all these things God already has for him. Speak life into him always, be his forever cheerleader and advocate!
My favorite Pastor always says,
This is sooooo important! If the tongue has the power to speak life or death (Proverbs 18:21) then we should speak highly of our husbands any chance we get, whether it's true of them or not...yet. And then pray with out ceasing (1 Thess 5:17).
There are so many other things we can pray for our husbands. I mean, you see how God even answered my trivial requests as a child. That’s because nothing is trivial to God! He loves us so much and wants to show off what He can do when we have child-like faith and confidence in Him!
Make a list, be specific, and trust that God can do all things!
Also, remember this applies to married and single ladies alike! It’s never too late or too early to be praying for your husband. And if you are single, check out this amazing blog-post by Audrey at aujpoj.com as she speaks on her “season of singleness”.
I’d love to hear the list you’ve come up with! Comment below!